Building a solid wood door is a great way to add both function and beauty to your home. While there are many different ways to build a door, this step-by-step guide will show you how to build a simple, yet sturdy door that will last for years to come.
What You’ll Need:
- Solid wood boards (we used 2x4s)
- A door knob
- A drill
- Screws (we used 3-inch screws)
- Wood glue
- A saw (we used a hand saw, but you could also use a power saw)
- A level
- A tape measure
- A hammer
- Nails (we used 6d finishing nails)
How to build a solid wood door?
Building a solid wood door is a great way to add both beauty and security to your home. But before you get started, there are a few things you need to know. Here’s a step-by-step guide to building a solid wood door:
- Choose the right type of wood. For a exterior door, you’ll want to use a hardwood like mahogany, oak, or cherry. For an interior door, any type of wood will do.
- Cut the pieces to size. You’ll need two side pieces, a top piece, and a bottom piece. The side pieces should be 1″ shorter than the overall height of the door, and the top and bottom pieces should be 1″ shorter than the width of the door.
- Assemble the frame. Glue and nail the side pieces to the top and bottom piece, making sure the frame is square.
- Cut the panels. For each panel, you’ll need four pieces of wood: two vertical stiles and two horizontal rails. The stiles should be 1″ shorter than the height of the door, and the rails should be 1″ shorter than the width of the door.
- Assemble the panels. Glue and nail the stiles to the rails, making sure the panels are square.
- Attach the panels to the frame. Start with the bottom panel, then add the others in order from bottom to top. Use hinges to attach the panels to the frame.
- Install the door knob andachach the the panels panels to to the the frame frame.. Start Start with with the the bottom bottom panel panel,, then then add add the the others others in in order order from from bottom bottom to to top top.. Use Use hinges hinges to to attach attach the the panels panels to to the the frame frame..
There are a few things to keep in mind when building a solid wood door:
- Make sure the frame is square. Use a level to check for plumb and level, and adjust as needed.
- Use screws instead of nails for added strength.
- If you’re using a power saw, be careful not to cut yourself. Wear safety goggles and gloves, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Sand the door smooth after assembly. Use fine-grit sandpaper and sand in the direction of the wood grain.
- Finish the door with a sealant or paint. This will protect the door from weathering and wear.